There were at least two, and possibly three Methodist chapels in the city before the present church, which opened in 1839, was built. The initiative for this fine building on a premium site just off Eyre Square was taken by William Nassau Alley, who also raised much of the money. He was an uncle of the Revd James M Alley. William Alley later died of fever which he caught from the victims of the Great Famine, whom he was attempting to relieve. He is buried under a Corinthian column behind the church.
Adjoining the building, but not communicating, was the manse, later let to a tenant when a better residence was purchased on Eyre Square. As years went by the number of Methodists in the city declined, and the last minister to be appointed there was George L Webster (1926-31). Supernumerary (retired) ministers lived in the city for some years. When they left services became infrequent.
The year 1975 saw a sudden growth here as people moved into the city and an international congregation developed. In 1977 a minister was again stationed in Galway. The church was beautifully restored, and a communication opened with the ground floor of the adjoining residence. This became a Sunday School and meeting room. The minister occupied a flat upstairs. In 1980 a Methodist & Presbyterian alternating ministry was established here, and a new manse acquired in the suburbs.