carrickfergus methodist

Carrickfergus methodist Church History

The Methodist Church in Carrickfergus has a long history. The Rev John Wesley visited the town on eight occasions between 1756 and 1778. In 1773 he records ‘there was a lively congregation’ at Carrickfergus. There still is today.

It is beliIeved that the first class meeting of Methodists in Carrickfergus took place among men of the Black Watch Regiment

In 1808 permission was given to build a new church, which was opened in West Street in 1812. It was a fine building for its time though the roof required regular repairs. This did not hamper the outreach work in the area and new churches were opened at Lame in 1827, Ballyclare in 1828, Hyde Park in 1829 and Islandmagee in 1829.

In 1884 the old church was showing its age and was unsuitable for the growing congregation, so it was replaced. By the end of the 19th century Carrickfergus could claim to have excellent premises, consisting of a fine church, a schoolhouse with daily and Sunday schools and a comfortable manse.

The story of the 20th century was of consolidation and outreach. Buildings were changed to suit more up to date needs, and in 1970 a suite of halls was opened in memory of the Rev S D Ferguson and a new gallery was added to the church.

Through time the buildings – once so fine – are now in need of repair. Planning and discussion are taking place towards a replacement church.

 

Galway Methodist Church

Galway Methodist Church History

John Wesley, accompanied by Thomas Walsh, first visited Galway in 1756, but a Methodist society was not formed there until 1760.

There were at least two, and possibly three Methodist chapels in the city before the present church, which opened in 1839, was built. The initiative for this fine building on a premium site just off Eyre Square was taken by William Nassau Alley, who also raised much of the money. He was an uncle of the Revd James M Alley. William Alley later died of fever which he caught from the victims of the Great Famine, whom he was attempting to relieve. He is buried under a Corinthian column behind the church.

Adjoining the building, but not communicating, was the manse, later let to a tenant when a better residence was purchased on Eyre Square. As years went by the number of Methodists in the city declined, and the last minister to be appointed there was George L Webster (1926-31). Supernumerary (retired) ministers lived in the city for some years. When they left services became infrequent.

 

Galway Methodist Church

Galway Methodist Church

The year 1975 saw a sudden growth here as people moved into the city and an international congregation developed. In 1977 a minister was again stationed in Galway. The church was beautifully restored, and a communication opened with the ground floor of the adjoining residence. This became a Sunday School and meeting room. The minister occupied a flat upstairs. In 1980 a Methodist & Presbyterian alternating ministry was established here, and a new manse acquired in the suburbs.

The Church Website

clonakilty methodist church

Clonakilty Methodist Church

The Rev Thomas Walsh, one of John Wesley’s preachers, was invited to Clonakilty in Co. Cork. He set out to visit it, with friends from Bandon, on 11 July 1752. When he was refused permission to preach in the town hall by the magistrate. Rev William Ellis (Rector), he instead preached to a large crowd on the nearest strand. On returning to the town the Rev Mr Walsh and his companions were put in jail where, like St Paul, they sang hymns and Mr Walsh preached through the bars to a huge sympathetic crowd who provided provisions and bedding.

Quite soon a Methodist society was formed in Clonakilty with regular house meetings.

John Bennett (mill manager, Rosscarbery) used to walk every Sunday to the town of Clonakilty preaching morning and evening for 27 years. In 1805 he moved to Clonakilty and was instrumental in building the first Methodist church in 1812 in Kent Street (known as Meeting-house Lane).

In 1860 the present building was erected on the same site, with schoolroom to the side and vestry (and playground) behind.

In 1885 a school and schoolhouse were built on the Western Road; it was run by the society until 1945. It is now a regional museum.

The school beside the church (with kitchen added in 1970) is used for Sunday School, Bible Study, Boys Brigade, ICA, MWI and other suitable events, and daily for a Montessori School

 

clonakilty methodist church

 

Not only is the church itself very beautiful but the town of Clonakilty is very charming and well worth a visit as you can see from this video…