Galway Methodist Church

Galway Methodist Church History

John Wesley, accompanied by Thomas Walsh, first visited Galway in 1756, but a Methodist society was not formed there until 1760.

There were at least two, and possibly three Methodist chapels in the city before the present church, which opened in 1839, was built. The initiative for this fine building on a premium site just off Eyre Square was taken by William Nassau Alley, who also raised much of the money. He was an uncle of the Revd James M Alley. William Alley later died of fever which he caught from the victims of the Great Famine, whom he was attempting to relieve. He is buried under a Corinthian column behind the church.

Adjoining the building, but not communicating, was the manse, later let to a tenant when a better residence was purchased on Eyre Square. As years went by the number of Methodists in the city declined, and the last minister to be appointed there was George L Webster (1926-31). Supernumerary (retired) ministers lived in the city for some years. When they left services became infrequent.

 

Galway Methodist Church

Galway Methodist Church

The year 1975 saw a sudden growth here as people moved into the city and an international congregation developed. In 1977 a minister was again stationed in Galway. The church was beautifully restored, and a communication opened with the ground floor of the adjoining residence. This became a Sunday School and meeting room. The minister occupied a flat upstairs. In 1980 a Methodist & Presbyterian alternating ministry was established here, and a new manse acquired in the suburbs.

The Church Website

Leave a Reply